Thursday, February 10, 2011

THE BOSS OF ME


Dear Weeb,

Tonight I was explaining why you couldn't wear your fancy dress to school for Valentine's Day on Monday. You stomped your foot and muttered, "Why do YOU always get to be in charge of ME?"

Okay, YOU be in charge then, kid. YOU make your lunches and dinners and do your laundry and dishes and get your own groceries and read your own stories at bedtime and make sure you brush your teeth so they don't rot and have baths so you don't get stinky and itchy. YOU be in charge of getting up in the morning and getting to school on time. YOU take care of you when you're sick.

I kept listing all the things YOU could be in charge of, from now on, until you started crying. Because I'm an awesome mom like that.

So I put you on my knee and explained that I don't like being in charge all the time either and I don't like having to say no. But I'm the adult and I better understand the consequences of things right now. Daddy reminded you that WE have rules that WE have to follow, as well.

I promise that we will try to say yes more than we ever say no. I promise to try and let you be in charge of you as often as I can. And I promise that one day you WILL get to be boss of you. And I promise that not long after that happens, you'll be longing for the days that you weren't.

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely post. I was tearing up by your last line. Really, very well said!

    ReplyDelete