Thursday, September 8, 2011

HOLES IN THE KNEES OF YOUR PANTS

Dear Weeb,

Though I appreciate that you did not get this hole by crawling around playing 'kitty', which is how you managed to get holes in most of your pants over the past two years, the two hour conversation that resulted in you admitting that you MIGHT have been using scissors at school and they MIGHT have slipped to the knee of your leggings makes me want to scream.

I have informed you that if scissors MIGHT be involved in future naked knee displays, YOU will be paying for the replacement pants / leggings.

"That's okay," you say to me, cheerily. "How much do they cost?"

I don't know! I don't think you're appreciating how angry I am at this, and your nonchalance is not helping (mostly because I'm trying not to laugh). 14 bucks, I say.

"That's okay," you inform me, again. "I have lots of money in my piggy bank."

Later, when your father got home, he was talking to you about the scissors. You told him you were cutting out a running shoe shape for the Terry Fox run and the scissors MIGHT have slipped.

As the conversation continued, we learned that you were cutting, on the table, you were sitting in your chair nicely (first time for everything) and the scissors just jumped out of your hand and cut a hole in the knee of your pants on the way down.

So we're not quite certain if this was an accident, an experiment or you just snagged it while you were playing on the playground.

I hope you remember this moment, this hole. I hope it was one of those moments of discovery for you. It's certainly reminded me that I need to let you have the freedom to go out and live life and find who you are and what your place is. More than anything, it helped me step back and remember that kids get and put holes in their clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment