Saturday, March 19, 2011

SUPERMOON

Dear Weeb,

Tonight we were going to experience a Super Moon.
March 19, 2011 — Sky enthusiasts have the chance to view an amazing phenomenon tonight. You'll be able to witness the largest and brightest full moon in 19 years from the comfort of your front yard. Why is this moon so special? Because it will be a couple thousand kilometers closer to earth.
You were excited and we let you stay up late to see it. I agreed to take the telescope out with us.

Our first venture out, around 7:30PM was unsuccessful; the moon was not visible to us yet.

Our second venture out, around 8:30PM was unsuccessful; we could see the moon from the back bedroom, but it wasn't high enough to be able to see it over the houses yet.

Our third venture out, at 9:00PM was more successful. The moon was nice and big and orange. It didn't seem all that much bigger or brighter than usual. It was a bit cloudy and there was a bit of a haze in the sky. You kept telling me that the twinkling stars were the Northern Lights. Sorry kid, like I tried to tell you a half dozen times, you were looking at the constellation of Orion.

I took a few pictures, but my point and shoot camera was pretty useless. Daddy tried to take pictures but the good camera doesn't have a lens that is good enough to get a moon shot, despite his best attempts.

Daddy got the telescope aimed at the moon so we got to see a bit of that. But neither of us could figure out how to focus it on any of the sparkley stars that you were interested in.

I feel like I spent the entire time we were outside telling you to wait and growling at you to be quiet (we were at the complex park and young kids would have been sleeping). I feel like the experience wasn't as joyous as it should have been and that was my fault. Despite the frustrations with the cameras and the telescope and a very loud and excited little girl, I should have been able to make it all exciting for you.

I hope you remember it as exciting. I hope you remember it as super.

No comments:

Post a Comment