Friday, January 8, 2010

TANTRUMS

Dear Weeb,

You've slept in your bed (fell asleep and stayed asleep) for almost all of December. You've had a couple of nights where you've sneaked into Daddy's room in the middle of the night or cried for us because you had a bad dream, but other than that, you have been great!

Now you'll fall asleep in your room (often after great complaint) but sneak into Daddy's room nearly every night again. You say you're having nightmares. But if we ask what about, you are obviously trying to make something up.

I keep wondering if something is going on that is bothering you, but I think you're just back to needing to be close again. You've become very clingy since you headed back to school after Christmas vacation. Not so much in the mornings, but very much from the time we get home and to bed time.

And the whining! OMG you can whine lately! I've told you that when I come to pick you up today at school, if you great me with a whine or beg to stay longer and makes a scene in doing so, then we will NOT be having Slurpee night. You seem to understand. We'll see. I'm sticking to my guns.

Normally the rule is if you approach me calmly and rationally and make a request to stay longer at school to play (etc.), then you can, as long as we don't have anything else to do. I've been trying to teach you to tell time a bit at these moments by saying, "The big hand is on the 12 right now, and it will be time to go when the big hand is on the 2." That's been helpful, but you still have tantrums. Works better than your usual, "10 more minutes, Mummy?" You've got no concept of 10 minutes, so the clock has been working fairly well.

Last night we had a royal whining meltdown. We were playing a game (an old Winnie the Pooh game from my childhood) and you wanted to play one more time. I told you we could play one more time but that meant no stories when we went upstairs (it was nearly bedtime). You agreed. I made you explain our deal to Daddy, to make sure you REALLY understood. It was a great deal. Until we were upstairs and you wanted a story!

I wish I had more patience with you. Your dad is far better with you when you're whiny or having tantrums. You're lucky - he'll be a good buffer between us when you get older.

No comments:

Post a Comment