Monday, January 19, 2009

ALLERGIES?

Dear Weeb,

We are a bit freaked about the allergic reaction you had at school today (we think to hazelnut).

Your eyes swelled up and you got red blotches on your face. I noticed a welt on your cheek later that I thought was weeping, but that may have been something else or a scratch because it disappeared pretty fast. The swollen eyes were scary though! Clinic told us to give you Benadryl (which you went crazy after taking - I think you had a bad reaction to it). The clinic doctor (who was a bit of an idiot) said your airways sounded perfect. He also said it wasn't a severe allergy and not to worry about allergy testing. Uh huh. I think we will be going to talk to the family doctor and see about testing. You've never had a reaction to anything (that I've ever noticed) before. I'm pretty observant. But I also know that any reaction can mean a severe reaction is next.

You had hazelnut spread at the daycare for snack time. You had a few bites and didn't want anymore. You've had it before at the daycare, but never with me. No more nuts, of any kind, until I talk to our doctor! Scary stuff. But I'm glad it wasn't her airway!

I'm allergic to apples (or maybe a pesticide?) and my tongue and mouth get itchy and I get welts on my lips. Happens with a few other fruits and veg, too. And I get wicked hay fever. Fun stuff.

We'll see our family doctor next week and see what he says. I really want you to see an allergist. You're currently doing well, aside from yet another cold. This one has been going on about a week now. Started with a fever, then plugged up nosey, now a cough. And we all know what happens when you get coughs. Is it Spring yet?

(Update 2010 - After giving it more thought, I do recall your previous daycare lady telling us that your eyes seemed swollen one day. They had given you peanut butter. By the time I came to pick you up, your eyes weren't swollen anymore. I never gave it a lot of thought as I didn't think swelling eyes was a sign of nut allergy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment